President and Chief Executive Officer, UMB Bank Vice Chairman, UMB Financial Corporation
Michael Hagedorn is president and chief executive officer of
UMB Bank and vice chairman of UMB Financial Corporation.
He is responsible for commercial banking, business banking,
small business banking, private wealth management,
institutional asset management, correspondent banking,
consumer banking and UMB Financial Corporation’s
Prior to this role, Hagedorn served as chief financial officer
and chief administrative officer of UMB Financial
Corporation with responsibility for corporate and regional
finance, corporate treasury, audit, compliance, regulatory reporting, strategic planning, investor
and government relations, mergers and acquisitions, management reporting, corporate
development, corporate security, properties, enterprise project management, corporate legal,
management information systems and the operations technology group. He joined UMB in 2005.
Hagedorn was recognized by the Kansas City Business Journal as a CFO of the Year honoree in 2009, 2010 and 2012. The Des Moines Business Record also honored him with their “40 Executives Under 40” honor in 2004.
Additionally, UMB has been recognized as one of the best banks in the United States for the past five years (based on eight financial measures of asset quality, capital adequacy and profitability, according to studies by Forbes and SNL Financial) and was also one of 47 banking institutions named to KBW’s 2013 “Bank Honor Roll.” UMB was also entered into the Congressional Record in 2010 for excellent performance during the financial crisis.
Company Facts: As of December 31, 2012
• Ten-year total return of 171.0 percent from December 31, 2002 to December 31, 2012, according to SNL Financial.
• Net income for 2012 reached a record $122.7 million, or $3.04 per diluted share, up 15.3 percent from 2011 earnings—UMB’s third consecutive year of earnings growth.
• Received the No. 1 ranking in deposit share in Kansas City for the second year in a row.
• Increased average total loans 10.4 percent in 2012, while nonperforming loans remained at a low 0.49 percent of average loans.
• Nearly 59 percent of 2012 revenue came from noninterest income—three times the median level for the nation’s banks. Earnings per share increased 17.2 percent, and book value increased 12.3 percent.
Community Involvement: • University of Kansas Business College Finance Advisory Board, Member
• Kansas City Downtown Council, Chairman of the Board
• Downtown Kansas City Civic Ventures, President and Board Member
• Greater Kansas City Local Initiatives Support Cooperation (LISC), past Chairman of the Board
• Kansas City Mayoral Streetcar Governance, Board Member
• Nativity Parish Finance Council, past Chairman of the Board and current Board Member
• Kansas City Streetcar Authority Board, Founding Board Member & Treasurer
• Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Board, member
Education: • Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, Bachelor of Business Administration
• Wells Fargo College of Commercial Credit, Honors Graduate
• University of Michigan Ross School of Business, Executive Leadership Program
• Harvard Business School, Executive Leadership Program
• Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Executive Education Program
• Global 100 – Next Generation Leadership Program
The information that is on or available through the Investor Relations section of this site is for informational purposes only and speaks only as of the particular date or dates of that information. We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information on or available through the Investor Relations section of this site, and we are not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in that information or for actions taken in reliance on that information. UMB Financial Corporation does not undertake an obligation, and disclaims any duty, to update any of the information on or available through this site.