President, Chairman and
Chief Executive Officer
UMB Financial Corporation
Mariner Kemper is president, chairman and chief executive officer for UMB Financial Corporation. He has been with the company for more than 20 years and has served many roles including president of UMB Bank Colorado, n.a. and executive vice president of UMB Financial Corporation. He has been in his current role since May 2004.
In 2019, Mariner was awarded the John Madden, Jr. Leadership Award by the CBCA, which recognizes a lifetime of extraordinary leadership and a legacy of support for the arts. In 2013, he was named “America’s 7th Most Powerful CEO 40 and Under” by Forbes.
As of December 31, 2018
• UMB Financial Corporation 2018 year end total revenue is $1.0
billion and total assets under management are $23.4 billion.
• Average loan balances in 2018 increased 7.0 percent and stood
at $11.6 billion at year end.
• For 2018, income from continuing operations was a record
$196.3 million, or $3.94 per diluted share, and increase of 7.3
percent from prior year.
• UMB Bank received the No. 1 ranking in market share of
deposits in Kansas City according to the FDIC 2018 Market
• Denver Art Museum - trustee and executive committee member
• Kansas City American Royal - executive committee and board member, former chairman
• Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art – board member
• Agriculture Future of America – lifetime director
• Boy Scouts of America Denver Area Council - trustee
Kemper is a resource for local, regional and national media. He has appeared as a special guest on Fox Business, CNBC and Bloomberg
Radio. He has also been a featured columnist in the Kansas City, St.
Louis, Denver and Springfield Business Journals.. Additionally, Kemper and UMB have been featured in banking and finance articles for the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, SmartMoney and Reuters, among