Chairman and Chief Executive Officer UMB Financial Corporation
Mariner Kemper is chairman and chief executive officer for UMB Financial Corporation.
During his more than 19 years with the company, Kemper has served many roles including
President of UMB Bank Colorado and Executive Vice President of UMB Financial
Corporation. He has been in his current role since May 2004.
In 2013 Kemper was recognized by Forbes as “America’s 7th Most Powerful CEO 40 and
Under.” He also was honored by American Banker as its Community Banker of the Year in
Additionally, under Kemper’s leadership, UMB has been recognized as one of the best
banks in the United States for the past six years (based on eight financial measures of
asset quality, capital adequacy and profitability, according to studies by Forbes and SNL
Financial) and was also one of 31 banking institutions named to KBW’s 2013 “Bank Honor
Roll.” UMB was also entered into the Congressional Record in 2010 for excellent
performance during the financial crisis.
Company Facts: As of December 31, 2014
• Ten-year total return of 137.6 percent as of December 31, 2014, according to SNL Financial.
• Total assets under management of $42.8 billion with a ten-year compounded annual growth rate of 19.2 percent as of
December 31, 2014.
• Received the No. 1 ranking in deposit share in Kansas City for the fourth year in a row.
• Increased average total loans 12.1 percent in 2014, while nonperforming loans remained at a low 0.37 percent of
• Nearly 60 percent of 2014 revenue came from noninterest income.
• Denver Art Museum, Trustee and Executive Committee Member
• Kansas City American Royal, Chairman
• National Jewish Health, Board Trustee
• Boy Scouts of America Denver Area Council, Board Member
Kemper is a resource for local, regional and national media. He has appeared as a special guest on Fox Business,
CNBC and Bloomberg Radio. He has also been a featured columnist in the Kansas City, St. Louis, Denver and
Springfield Business Journals. Additionally, Kemper and UMB have been featured in banking and finance articles for
the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, SmartMoney and Reuters, among others.
The information that is on or available through the Investor Relations section of this site is for informational purposes only and speaks only as of the particular date or dates of that information. We do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information on or available through the Investor Relations section of this site, and we are not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in that information or for actions taken in reliance on that information. UMB Financial Corporation does not undertake an obligation, and disclaims any duty, to update any of the information on or available through this site.